[K12OSN] Main authentication server down

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:25:48 UTC 2007

On Friday, our school took a series of power hits, and our main server went
down hard.  At present, it will not boot because it cannot find the
VolGroup01.  The logical volume for the  OS is present (VolGroup00),  and
linux rescue lets me see everything on it.  However, during the boot
process, when the OS (Fedora Core 4, lvm1) goes to find the other volume
group it is missing, and the boot process halts. I don't care about what is
on that volume group (I can recover it later if it can be done, or recreate
it), but ... is there a way to tell the system to not try and locate that
logical volume?

As a side note, I was running Matt's ldap scripts, so I have the slave ldap
currently handling logins.  But no one can log onto the windows systems at
this point.  I changed smb.conf so that it should be the PDC now, but that
didn't fix it. I get the system account not found error which normally means
if I remove/rejoin everything is ok, but can't rejoin.  So, now I am just
trying to get something back.  I have all the user data, and can get all the
conf files from the auth server if needed.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins