Re: [K12OSN] Main authentication server down

On 7/2/07, David Hopkins <dahopkins429 gmail com> wrote:
On Friday, our school took a series of power hits, and our main server went
down hard.  At present, it will not boot because it cannot find the
VolGroup01.  The logical volume for the  OS is present (VolGroup00),  and
linux rescue lets me see everything on it.  However, during the boot
process, when the OS (Fedora Core 4, lvm1) goes to find the other volume
group it is missing, and the boot process halts. I don't care about what is
on that volume group (I can recover it later if it can be done, or recreate
it), but ... is there a way to tell the system to not try and locate that
logical volume?

Caveat emptor. Sounds like you're in a pinch so I'm just throwing this
out there.

From the rescue mode, can you "vgreduce --removemissing VolGroup01"?
The vgremove man page says that should make the LVM consistent, even
in the absence of a disk. Note that it probably will eat the volume
group.

http://www.stress-free.co.nz/adventures_in_lvm

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>