[K12OSN] need some basic help

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 2 20:07:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 22:00 -0500, Jason Smith wrote:
> Hi, I have installed K12LTSP 6.  I would like some help performing the
> following:
>
> 1) I would like to remove the session chooser on the terminals.  In
> other words, I want the users to be forced to go into Gnome and not
> have a choice for any other display managers.
>
> 2) I would like to set up a few of the terminals as kiosks that only
> go to our library catalog.

You need a few tools on to do this. Main one is squidguard (I am
assuming the library catalog is web based). Build an autologon setup
that autostarts the browser with the homepage locked to the catalog.
There are some kiosk extension for firefox (I have not tested these so
keep us all posted :). Have the autostart be a script tat loads firefox
in kisok mode and after firefox closes it automatically logs out and
starts again. For this user(s) select twm as the window manager so the
get no other tools available.

Yes that is all miserably general. The last kiosk I did was 1998...

> 3) I would like to disable the Alt-F1 function on all terminals (which
> displays the main menu bar).

Somewhere buried is the keymap stuff (gconf-editor time). That's what
responds and pops up the main menu bar.

> I got volunteered to get an LTSP system set up for my local library
> and I have been beating my head against the wall on these security
> issues.  Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Dig on google (and slshdot.org). I recall a public library that replaced
all their systems with Linux (not ltsp) and they solved a lot of these
UI issues. Their config should be usable in the LTSP setup for the kiosk
mode.