[K12OSN] Howto Setup VNC with LTSP 5 (Edubuntu) (strange keymap)

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jul 2 21:00:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:16:15 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> > > Funny, all seemed to be okay, except now that I try and type my keyboard
> > > layout seems
> > > messed up.  I can type fine at the login screen, but once logged
> > > everything is messed
> > > up. Here is the characters type when I type "testing" in openoffice
> > > "ngbnlûj".  Any
> > > suggestions would be great.
> >
> > A suggestion:
> > See documentation about VNC viewer and server.
> > Maybe you have to modify some of config file of vnc.
> > In /etc you have a vnc.conf (maybe) see about keyboard here.
> > Maybe this are the solution
>
> Apparently this is a bug in Feisty with vnc and gnome.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/control-center/+bug/108928

If anyone else runs into this, I was able to fix it by running "sudo gconf-editor" then
navigating to "desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd" and editing the "layouts" key to
[pc105] and then setting it as default.  I didn't make it mandatory just in case we have
a different keyboard plugged in, but at least this seems to give it sensible defaults to
hand out.

Jim