Re: [K12OSN] new principal ... wants new feature

True.  FreeNX would be fine, I suppose.  Does anyone else offer this to their staff / administration? Is this a typical feature that people offer?

~kari

On 7/3/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim winonacotter org> wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:57:05 -0500, Kari Matthews wrote
> Oh my.
>
> My new principal says that at his last school, the IT guy had the server set
> up so that you could login from anywhere (like home) and have access to his
> documents (on the server).  He claims that the last school had some kind of
> web interface.  Hmmm.
>
> I currently have a Ubuntu 6 server and use smbldap for students -- students
> save papers and such on the server.  The main advantage of having a server,
> IMO, is DansGuardian.  None of the teachers do this -- they all save their
> stuff locally.  We use Google Apps for mail.
>
> Is there a way to set it up so people have access from outside the building
> to their stuff?  I only use open source, so if it costs anything, forget
> it.  This is a small school (80 students) with a small budget.  I am unsure
> how to proceed.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can set up ftp or scp access for free to any linux server if you want (or I guess to
individual machines if you wanted).  Or if you wanted you could give them VNC or FreeNX
access to their individual desktops.  I guess there are quite a few options for remote
access (you could even setup a VPN if you wanted and allow browsing of the SMB network
from home via a VPN client).