Re: [K12OSN] new principal ... wants new feature

That they have 2003Server at the old school is my suspicion.   I'll go check out the SSLexplorer and see what I can do.

I thought I had my hands full re-figuring out how to make smbldap work on my fat client edubuntu workstations and ubuntu server.  This adds fuel to the fire -- I only have 6 weeks til school starts.  Yikes!  If I had no other clients, it wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks for the advice.

kari

On 7/3/07, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos firstbhph com > wrote:
On Tuesday 03 July 2007 2:57 pm, Kari Matthews wrote:
> Oh my.
>
> My new principal says that at his last school, the IT guy had the server
> set up so that you could login from anywhere (like home) and have access to
> his documents (on the server).  He claims that the last school had some
> kind of web interface.  Hmmm.
>
> I currently have a Ubuntu 6 server and use smbldap for students -- students
> save papers and such on the server.  The main advantage of having a server,
> IMO, is DansGuardian.  None of the teachers do this -- they all save their
> stuff locally.  We use Google Apps for mail.
>
> Is there a way to set it up so people have access from outside the building
> to their stuff?  I only use open source, so if it costs anything, forget
> it.  This is a small school (80 students) with a small budget.  I am unsure
> how to proceed.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> ~kari

It sounds a lot like the IT guy at the last school had an SSL vpn, accessible
via a Web browser, set up (Windows server, for example, has a built-in one,
IIRC).  In the FOSS space, you might want to take a look at SSL-Explorer
(3sp.com/showsslexplorercommunity.com ).

HTH

Dimitri

believed to be clean.