Re: [K12OSN] new principal ... wants new feature

On 7/3/07, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos firstbhph com> wrote:
On Tuesday 03 July 2007 4:07 pm, Dan Young wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Kari Matthews <karisue gmail com> wrote:
> > My new principal says that at his last school, the IT guy had the server
> > set up so that you could login from anywhere (like home) and have access
> > to his documents (on the server).  He claims that the last school had
> > some kind of web interface.  Hmmm.
>
> OpenVPN is free and runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac.

I'm not trying to be disparaging (I use OpenVPN in our shop for certain
users), but OpenVPN requires generation of certificates, and installation of
software, those certs, and a config file on the client machine.  While I'm
not in the edu field, I'm guessing that most principals would find this a
bother, to put it mildly.  IMHO, a Web-based solution is probably best here.
As an alternative to DL'ing, installing, and setting up SSL-Explorer (which
we also use in our shop), Netgear makes an inexpensive (~$300) 25-user SSL
VPN appliance (my suspicion is that it's driven by the commercial version of
SSL-Explorer-same look and feel).  I've seen it in action, and it works very
well.

Point taken. OpenVPN is to be set up with the help and guidance of
your local expert.

FWIW, the Windows installer can be custom built with the configuration
pre-loaded, so end-users of the OpenVPN client could potentially just
run an installer and go.

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services