Re: [K12OSN] new principal ... wants new feature

There is also a VM for SSL Explorer

On 04/07/07, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos firstbhph com> wrote:
On Tuesday 03 July 2007 4:07 pm, Dan Young wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Kari Matthews < karisue gmail com> wrote:
> > My new principal says that at his last school, the IT guy had the server
> > set up so that you could login from anywhere (like home) and have access
> > to his documents (on the server).  He claims that the last school had
> > some kind of web interface.  Hmmm.
>
> OpenVPN is free and runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac.
>
> --
> Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us >
> Multnomah ESD - Technology Services
> 503-257-1562

I'm not trying to be disparaging (I use OpenVPN in our shop for certain
users), but OpenVPN requires generation of certificates, and installation of
software, those certs, and a config file on the client machine.  While I'm
not in the edu field, I'm guessing that most principals would find this a
bother, to put it mildly.  IMHO, a Web-based solution is probably best here.
As an alternative to DL'ing, installing, and setting up SSL-Explorer (which
we also use in our shop), Netgear makes an inexpensive (~$300) 25-user SSL
VPN appliance (my suspicion is that it's driven by the commercial version of
SSL-Explorer-same look and feel).  I've seen it in action, and it works very
well.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.