Re: [K12OSN] 5.0EL & Abiword

On 7/6/07, Nils Breunese <nils breun nl> wrote:
Ronnie Miller wrote:

> Second, I've gone totally brain dead and am showing my lack of
> knowledge by asking the following:
>
> In Version 5&6, Abiword is an option in the "Add/Remove Software"
> menu option. It doesn't show up anywhere in the 5.0EL though. I
> made the mistake of showing it to a couple of teachers and they're
> definitely interested in it (OK, I am too...). I can't figure out
> how to get installed. I went to the Abiword website and downloaded
> the latest version, but it kept giving me an "incorrect Unicode
> error". Anybody  got some suggestions for a newbie.

AbiWord was removed with RHEL3 (so it's also not in CentOS 3 and
newer) if I remember correctly, because they wanted to cut down on
the number of text editors. I haven't found a third party repository
yet that has abiword for current RHEL/CentOS versions (and I don't
like installing software that's not managed by yum).

Given how similar RHEL5 and FC6 are, you could probably get away with
grabbing the FC6 RPM, assuming there aren't any weird dependencies
(fribidi?) not available in RHEL5. But yeah, like Nils said, software
outside a managed repo can be a pain.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/abiword-2.4.6-1.fc6.i386.rpm

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>