Re: [K12OSN] Need Help

Rob Owens wrote:
On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 09:16:26AM -0600, Don Gould wrote:

I'm hoping to boot Linux off of 3.5 disks
on each machine.

You could also try booting off a CD.  I find it's quicker than booting
from the floppy (due to the increased read speed), and it might even be
cheaper.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80408&package_id=97496&release_id=190646

-Rob

Actually, booting off the CD isn't going to affect speed very much at all.  The reason is that the EtherBoot file is so small--32KB to 36KB--that it'll take as much time for the CD to spin up as it would to read that little file from a floppy.  Now, hard disk, that's a different story.  But even then, the file's so small that--fortunately--it doesn't matter that much.

Also remember, once the EtherBoot image is loaded, you're then TFTP-booting across the network.  The floppy's out of the picture at that point.

--TP