Re: [K12OSN] office suite interoperability

James P. Kinney III wrote:

I hear repeatedly "We MUST use Microsoft office because that's what
everyone has". I guess "lemmings" comes to mind...

It really bothers me that people who in general will be writing just a
few pages with a picture or two are brainwashed into believing they MUST have an application that will cost each pc more than the value of the pc
each year in licensing.

Thus enters OpenOffice.org

What a fabulous application. Cross platform so Windows, Mac and Linux
(and Solaris and SGI and...) user can all share files seamlessly.

Yes I _still_ hear the argument "But people don't have OpenOffice at
home so we can't use it".

?????

It costs $0 to obtain a legal copy.

So the often used rule in K12LTSP is to setup OpenOffice so the default
output format is Microsoft Office format.

Personally, I think that is a bad idea. It's just a short term kludge
workaround to not having the resources to train people in how to "Save
As".

But Sun has stepped up and released the best solution - a plugin to
Microsoft Office that can read and write OpenOffice format files.

The file format of OpenOffice is an ISO standard right now. Make sure
everyone keeps hearing that mantra - OpenOffice is standards compliant
but Microsoft Office is not.

Then offer the plugin to help bring Microsoft Office up to current world
standards:

http://www.sun.com/software/star/openoffice/

Be sure to remind everyone that open document formats are just like
knowledge: good for everyone.

I totally agree, but it seems Microsoft Office Open XML (OOXML), which has nothing to do with OpenOffice.org by the way, is also on its way to become an ISO standard, so your standards argument might soon be wearing thin:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML>

Nils Breunese.