Re: [K12OSN] liberation-fonts instead of msttcorefonts?

I use and like them as well.  They are indeed close, but not quite exact.  I actually had someone comment to me about the "different look" of a document that I had sent them that used Liberation (I use OpenOffice.org).  They looked at it in Times New Roman--on MS Word, naturally--and actually complained!  Reason?  The ends of the paragraphs didn't fall exactly in the same places (my printout vs. her screen display).  They were close, but not exactly the same.

Therefore, I decided on a little test.  I then viewed the same document again in OpenOffice.org, changing everything from Liberation to Times New Roman, and sure enough, the paragraphs ended in OpenOffice.org exactly where they did in my colleague's MS Word 2003.  She seemed to have a valid point at first.

OK, let's continue testing, I thought.  I fired up a Windows box w/ MS Word XP, followed later with MS Word 2000, and viewed the same document in each, using Times New Roman.  Guess what?  The paragraphs didn't land exactly where they had in MS Word 2003!  Furthermore, Word XP and Word 2000 had the paragraphs ending in slightly different places.  So, I said to my MS Word-using colleague, "so how do you deal with this with your Word XP-using boss?" My colleague then got quiet.

The test showed me two things.  First, OpenOffice.org 2.x is so compatible with MS Word 2003 that at times it even beats MS Word XP and 2000 (I didn't bother trying Word 97).  Second, using the Liberation typefaces doesn't produce any layout changes greater than switching between different versions of Microsoft Word.  A whole lot of businesses and schools continue to use MS Office 2000/XP, so this point is relevant.

Conclusion:  the Liberation typefaces are certainly good enough to replace Times New Roman.  Further, they are Free as in Freedom.  I absolutely will continue to use them.

I believe that we should continue to make the msttcorefonts available, if only to continue to serve notice to Microsoft:  WE WILL EXERCISE OUR RIGHTS.  It's much like why USA warships would sail periodically in the Black Sea during the Cold War as a notice to the Soviet Union.  However, we should also certainly pre-load Liberation and furthermore make it the default typeface.  If someone wants to choose the msttcorefonts, then they still can, but with Liberation, they don't have to anymore.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
i second that :-)

i use them too, and they are great!
i also set the Font Replacement Table in OpenOffice to replace the
corresponding MS fonts with these fonts according to their fonts families.
it can be patched globally by editing the file:
/{where OO is installed}/openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu
where the "Font Replacement Table" setting are stored.

i'm attaching it.