Re: [K12OSN] Replacing a server

John Lucas wrote:
On Tuesday 10 July 2007 10:27, Mark Cockrell wrote:
I want to replace my current K12LTSP 4.4.1 box with a new K12LTSP/ 5.0EL
box, and I need a little advice.  My current box is our primary
authentication server using Samba/LDAP thanks to Matt Oquist's wonderful
script.  What's the best way to migrate that data to the new server?  I
had planned to just install 5.0EL on the new machine, run the smb-ldap
script and then do a slapadd of my most recent backup, but it seems that
Matt's script isn't yet ready to handle CentOS 5 or it's K12LTSP
derivative.   I'm at a loss as to what I should do.  What do any of you
recommend?

As a test (on a temporary virtual machine), I tried using the smbldap installer scripts with CentOS5 and I was able to get it to work. I wish I had taken notes, but as I recall I added/activated the "rpmforge" repository and installed the dependant packages *before* I ran the script, choosing CentOS 4.4 as the installation target. The idea was to minimize the number of packages that smbldap-installer had to fetch by installing the versions that were correct for CentOS, leaving only the configuration steps for the scripts to perform. At any rate I was able to get it working.

I've taken the bits below from my wiki page I created, it should allow you to get the script working, only thing I think I've missed is the smbldap-tools that you'll need to create users etc but the script should install that for you.

<Quote>

 ProtectBase

You should make sure that you have ProtectBase installed. yum-protectbase is available in the CentOS 5 repositories:

   yum install yum-protectbase

Plugins are enabled in CentOS 5 by default.

Edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add the following line to the [base] and [update] and [centosplus] section:

    protect=1

Leave the [centosplus] section disabled:

    enabled=0

Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add the following line to the other sections

    protect=0

Download the rpmforge-release package.

    wget http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/x86_64/RPMS.dag/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm

(You can find a complete list of rpmforge-release package packages at http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rpmforge-release/ but it is recommended that you use one of the two listed above).

Install DAG's GPG key

    rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

Verify the package you have downloaded

    rpm -K rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

Security warning: The rpmforge-release package imports GPG keys into your RPM database. As long as you have verified the package and trust Dag then it should be safe.

Install the package

   rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

This will add a yum repository config file and import the appropriate GPG keys.

Test with this command:

   yum check-update

It should output these two lines:

The number above may differ, but there should be several packages shown as being excluded.

[edit]
Install Extra Packages

   yum install ntp
   yum install apcupsd

Install needed rpms for Samba3 / Openldap (found from Smbldap installer script)

yum install perl-XML-SAX-Base perl-Unicode-String perl-IO-Socket-SSL perl-Crypt-SmbHash perl-Convert-BER

Install actual servers & dependants

  yum install perl-URI perl-Convert-ASN1 perl-libwww-perl
  yum install perl-XML-NamespaceSupport perl-URI perl-Crypt-SSLeay
  yum install perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-LDAP
  yum install gcc glibc-headers
  yum install openldap-servers openldap-clients
  yum install samba-common samba
  yum install apcupsd
  yum install net-snmp

Install Webmin for easy configuration (example below is current version but visit www.webmin.com for latest version)