[K12OSN] Replacing a server

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 15:09:30 UTC 2007

John Lucas wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007 10:27, Mark Cockrell wrote:
>> I want to replace my current K12LTSP 4.4.1 box with a new K12LTSP/ 5.0EL
>> box, and I need a little advice.  My current box is our primary
>> authentication server using Samba/LDAP thanks to Matt Oquist's wonderful
>> script.  What's the best way to migrate that data to the new server?  I
>> had planned to just install 5.0EL on the new machine, run the smb-ldap
>> script and then do a slapadd of my most recent backup, but it seems that
>> Matt's script isn't yet ready to handle CentOS 5 or it's K12LTSP
>> derivative.   I'm at a loss as to what I should do.  What do any of you
>> recommend?
>>

> As a test (on a temporary virtual machine), I tried using the smbldap
> installer scripts with CentOS5 and I was able to get it to work. I wish I had
> taken notes, but as I recall I added/activated the "rpmforge" repository and
> installed the dependant packages *before* I ran the script, choosing CentOS
> 4.4 as the installation target. The idea was to minimize the number of
> packages that smbldap-installer had to fetch by installing the versions that
> were correct for CentOS, leaving only the configuration steps for the scripts
> to perform. At any rate I was able to get it working.

I've taken the bits below from my wiki page I created, it should allow you to get the script
working, only thing I think I've missed is the smbldap-tools that you'll need to create users etc
but the script should install that for you.

<Quote>

  ProtectBase

You should make sure that you have ProtectBase installed. yum-protectbase is available in the CentOS
5 repositories:

    yum install yum-protectbase

Plugins are enabled in CentOS 5 by default.

Edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add the following line to the [base] and
[update] and [centosplus] section:

     protect=1

Leave the [centosplus] section disabled:

     enabled=0

Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add the following line to the other sections

     protect=0

Download the rpmforge-release package.

     wget http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/x86_64/RPMS.dag/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm

(You can find a complete list of rpmforge-release package packages at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rpmforge-release/ but it is recommended that you use one of the two
listed above).

Install DAG's GPG key

     rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

Verify the package you have downloaded

     rpm -K rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

Security warning: The rpmforge-release package imports GPG keys into your RPM database. As long as
you have verified the package and trust Dag then it should be safe.

Install the package

    rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

This will add a yum repository config file and import the appropriate GPG keys.

Test with this command:

    yum check-update

It should output these two lines:

The number above may differ, but there should be several packages shown as being excluded.

[edit]
Install Extra Packages

    yum install ntp
    yum install apcupsd

Install needed rpms for Samba3 / Openldap (found from Smbldap installer script)

    yum install perl-XML-SAX-Base perl-Unicode-String perl-IO-Socket-SSL perl-Crypt-SmbHash
perl-Convert-BER

Install actual servers & dependants

   yum install perl-URI perl-Convert-ASN1 perl-libwww-perl
   yum install perl-XML-NamespaceSupport perl-URI perl-Crypt-SSLeay
   yum install perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-LDAP
   yum install gcc glibc-headers
   yum install openldap-servers openldap-clients
   yum install samba-common samba
   yum install apcupsd
   yum install net-snmp

Install Webmin for easy configuration (example below is current version but visit www.webmin.com for