Re: [K12OSN] DHCP and different LTSP distros

On 29/06/07, William Fragakis <william fragakis com> wrote:
Tweaks for servers serving older PCs:
If the PC, while PXE booting fails to get further than grabbing an IP
address or begin tftp, you likely an older PXE firmware (0.99) that
requires certain tweaks. Newer clients do not require these steps but it
doesn't hurt to do them to facilitate easy swapping of clients later.
We've only found this to be an issue with PII 350 and 400 Compaq
DeskPros.
Open the computer -> filesystem -> /etc

open file /etc/sysctl.conf (it should open with Gedit or Kedit) append
the file with the following (Include the # sign! It denotes a comment
which is for human eyes and for the server to ignore. Well commented
files make things easy for those who follow you.)

# Disable MTU discovery for older PXE NICs (0.99)
net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 1

save the file and close

next, open file /etc/xinetd.d/tftp

change this line:
server.args = -s /tftpboot

to:
server.args = -r blksize -s /tftpboot

save the file and close (essentially, you are adding the -r blksize
parameter). This change unlike any others will not be effective until
you reboot the server. This is the only change that requires a reboot
since it is kernel level. All other changes are package or service level
and only require restarting that application or service.

I tried these settings, and now I get this message from tail -f
/var/log/messages when I start dhcpd and none of the clients can boot
from this server. Wen I start dhcpd on the secondary server the
terminals are able to boot from there.

Jul 11 14:27:36 k12ltsp2 dhcpd: Failover CONNECT from 192.168.0.253:
time offset too large
Jul 11 14:27:36 k12ltsp2 dhcpd: failover: disconnect: time offset too large
Jul 11 14:27:36 k12ltsp2 dhcpd: dhcpd startup succeeded
Jul 11 14:27:51 k12ltsp2 dhcpd: failover peer ltsp: I move from
startup to communications-interrupted
Jul 11 14:27:51 k12ltsp2 dhcpd: failover: link startup timeout