Re: [K12OSN] Java on K12LTSP 5EL

I've tried the blackdown route (blackdown.org) but it crashes on every applet after about 10 seconds. Other than that, I've got nothing.
The problem is, my 64-bit FF w/ nspluginwrapper is infinitely more stable on non-java pages than 32-bit Firefox. So, I'm forced to make a choice - long-term stability with no java or random crashes with flash & java.
-Michael

Nils Breunese wrote:
Chris Thomas wrote:

make a symolic link from the plugin in the jre directory to the firefox plugins directory.

That symlink is automatically created when you install the Java packages: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so is a symlink to /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.10/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so.

I'm still thinking the problem may be that K12LTSP 5EL 64-bit installs a 32-bit version of Java. Linux 64-bit JRE downloads are available at java.sun.com, but apparently the 64-bit version doesn't have applet and Java Web Start support.

How do other people get Java applet support on 64-bit K12LTSP? I use 64-bit Firefox with nspluginwrapper so I can use the 32-bit only Flash plugin. Is the only solution to go with 32-bit Firefox?

Nils Breunese.