[K12OSN] OT: Open Source counter-arguments

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sun Jul 15 01:42:07 UTC 2007

Regarding open source stuff being a copy of commercial software:

In some cases this may be true.  For instance, (in my opinion)
OpenOffice is heavily modeled after MS Word and Excel.  Of course, MS Word was
pretty similar to other word processors--how different can you make
them?  At some point, when people are used to doing things a certain way
and seeing things that look a certain way, those things become a design
standard.

Take automobiles, for instance.  Most of them are designed
very similarly:  engine in front, 4 wheels, windows that roll down, the
controls are all in the same place as the last car you drove, etc.  If
you made a car that was too different, people wouldn't like it simply
because it's not what they're used to.

Let's get back to OpenOffice again.  Instead of bashing OpenOffice as a
less-functional rip-off of MS Office, maybe we should take the time to
thank them.  The first time I used MS Word, it was version 5.5 and it
did everything I needed it to do.  How many versions of MS Word have
most people paid for since version 5.5?  What OpenOffice has done for
the world is they've said "OK Microsoft, enough is enough.  How many
times are you going to charge us for the same software?"  The only
most people ever "upgrade" to the next version of Word is because
somebody else did and they needed to maintain compatibility.  OpenOffice
empowers people to break the senseless and eternal upgrade cycle of MS
Office.

Sure it might mean that MS is going to sell less copies of
Office.  But if MS was actually selling new stuff instead of the same
software over and over again, they wouldn't have to worry about
OpenOffice.  The original poster seems to be embracing/defending
capitalism, but this is capitalism at its finest:  competition yields
improvement (and survival of the fittest).  MS has stifled commercial competition for so long, that a bunch of
hobbyists in their spare time have produced products which rival what MS
and all its $billions have produced.

-Rob