[K12OSN] Color laser printer running costs

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:35:31 UTC 2007

We've been through a few color laser printers recently.

We did have a HP 5500n.  Printed wonderfully, but I think it was
expensive, and the cartridges were very expensive also.  Furthermore,
it reported low color toner about 6 weeks before the prints started
showing problems.

Our principal got talked into a Ricoh Aficio AP410N (actually 2 of
them).  He got this with duplexer brand new for the same cost as that
5500n without duplexer and the HP was refurbished.  The Ricoh was also
much smaller, but did the same quality prints.

The cartridges are really where the cost difference comes in.  I
believe (and you may want to double check this) but the HP cartridges
were almost twice the cost of the Ricoh's.  Subjectively, I'd also say
they lasted longer.  The starter toner cartridge we got with the Ricoh
didn't have hardly any toner in it at all, but it just kept printing
and printing with no lines or discoloration in the prints.

Before I was forced to use this Ricoh, I've always preferred HP laser
printers.  In my experience they just always work well when properly
maintained.  This Ricoh was a pleasant surprise.

This has just been my experiences though.  Your mileage may vary.

Eric