[K12OSN] Clean slate - k12LTSP small server planning

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jul 19 14:35:17 UTC 2007

And I DO mean small server.

I ordered the 4 for 3 deal for the decTOP.  I will toss in more memory
into one of them, switch to a low power-usage notebook drive and find an
external battery, drop K12LTSP on the box and presto, a portable Linux
apps server.

But how much memory (hey, even the $15 difference between 256Mb and
512Mb has to be thought out).

So I am looking at IceWM in place of Gnome.  There will only be one user
of this system, me!  But many apps running.

What is the lowest server memory hit for the remote consol?  And what
app on an XP or Linux client?  Even if I do go for 512Mb, I still have
to think this through...

Since this is a fresh start, go with k12ltsp v 7beta?  The FC6 should be
a better performer than FC5 (at least moving to Centos 5 from 4.x seems
so).  Is the beta 'stable' and close to release?

Or should I install Centos 5 and drop everything needed to make a
k12ltsp box?  Or maybe DSL will be kinder on the memory?  I will be
working with DSL on one of the other decTOPs.  The remaing 2 will be
Portable Trixboxs for demo purposes.

That 4 for 3 deal for the decTOP comes out to $81/unit.  Thing is you
need PC2700 memory and that is $15 more than comparable PC4200 memory....