[K12OSN] Clean slate - k12LTSP small server planning

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jul 19 15:58:50 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> And I DO mean small server.
>>
>> I ordered the 4 for 3 deal for the decTOP.  I will toss in more
>> memory into one of them, switch to a low power-usage notebook drive
>> and find an external battery, drop K12LTSP on the box and presto, a
>> portable Linux apps server.
>>

> I think the ethernet-over-USB1.1 is going to be a killer for this
> thing.  It might make a small web server for something that doesn't
> need much bandwidth, and maybe NX with compression would make it
> usable as a client but there's not much else that doesn't need good
> network performance.

Home much data is going over the network for a remote client?  The app
is running on the server, isn't it?  I do remember the bad old days with
X (circa ''94) when any mouse movement or window resize swamped a 10Mb
ethernet.

USB 1.1 is faster than a T1 link.  So it will serve for Trixbox that
does not have a lot of connections.  Just fine for a demo box or two.

I will also be looking at what it will take to replace the micro-ITX
card (find others with same attachment locations?).  As $81 for a
micro-ITX case and power supply is a deal itself...