[K12OSN] Using existing DHCP server

Jon Harder linuxk12 at mountainlake.k12.mn.us
Tue Jul 24 14:12:17 UTC 2007

Chuck Liebow wrote:
> you dont have the magic  numbers in there to netboot an iwhatever

This was my main problem. To get things going I needed a dhcp config
group like this:

    group {
        option vendor-class-identifier "AAPLBSDPC";
        filename "yaboot";
        next-server X.X.X.X;
        option root-path "X.X.X.X:/opt/ltsp/ppc";
        host iMac1 { hardware ethernet 00:30:65:77:25:a6; ddns-hostname iMac1; }
        host iMac2 { hardware ethernet 00:03:93:40:16:e4; ddns-hostname iMac2; }
    }

Both the vendor-class-identifier and the full "server:/path" form of the
root-path were required to make things go. I also needed to open things
up to my network in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/exports. Finally I had to

With Jim's help, the iMacs are booting straight to the network and it
looks like I am ready to start rolling this thing out. Thanks for all
of the help!

--
Jon Harder
Mountain Lake Public Schools