[K12OSN] OT: universal font for HTML

I don't know who else to ask, so I'm asking you guys...

I'm trying to create an HTML email signature for my company (their idea,
not mine).  I've been struggling to pick a font that looks good on
all/most computer systems.  So far anything I've tried looks
significantly different on my 3 test systems:  Windows XP, K12LTSP 5.0EL
w/ the font forge package, and Xubuntu 6.10.

Any suggestions?  I'm using Nvu to edit the HTML, and I am by no means
an expert.

-Rob