Re: [K12OSN] Quick Question about Swap partitions

Op 25-jul-2007, om 15:40 heeft Jim Kronebusch het volgende geschreven:

How big should they be? I have read places that too large of a Swap partition is bad, I have also read that a good rule of thumb is to make your swap partition twice the size of your RAM. In my case I have 16GB of RAM. Does that mean I should have 32GB swap
partitions?

That sounds a bit ridiculous. I have a server with 4GB of RAM and since we don't have that much users, we have absolutely no need for a dedicated swap partition. We never get to 100% RAM usage. I haven't even set one up. You can always just create a swapfile on your filesystem for emergency (and then get more RAM).

Nils Breunese.