[K12OSN] Quick Question about Swap partitions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jul 25 14:40:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 10:28 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> This give me an idea.  Is it possible to tell the system to email you
> once it has begun to use swap?  This way you could use a small swap
> partition, and when you get an email you might want to consider
> purchasing more RAM.

If the system sits long enough and has swap available, it will always
write to it eventually. Even on an unloaded system with no users doing
anything it will eventually swap something out. It may take 2-3 days for
it to happen...

You can run large RAM machines with no swap. By large RAM I mean 2GB and
up. After 1GB of RAM, swap is nearly useless anyway.

Besides saying "I have a machine with 32GB of SWAP" doesn't sound as
cool as "I have a machine with 32GB or RAM". :}

If you _really_ want to go "hardcore" make a 2GB ramdisk and use that
for swap!
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering