Re: [K12OSN] need some K12LTSP 5.0EL advice

On 7/25/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
You will ALWAYS need a swap partition for the OS. The standard 2GB swap
partition is OK. If you are using software RAID1, create the a pair of
1GB swap partitions and let swap handle them outside of RAID. Putting
swap on a mirror is a waste of system resources. If you are using
hardware RAID you will have no choice but to put swap on the mirror or
add a third drive.

Not sure if I agree. Using 2 or more disks with swap partitions causes
linux to effectively use those partitions with striping (RAID 0), thus
1GB+1GB=2GB with no redundancy. The point of having RAID 1 is so your
system doesn't go down if one disk fails. Suppose you exhaust RAM and
go into swap and that disk fails. You have just lost virtual RAM.
Crash. That's why I also put my swap on RAID 1.
--
Robert Arkiletian