[K12OSN] slave ldap not working properly

All of last year, the slave ldap server worked flawlessly, but today no one can log in using it, it gives the following at a command prompt if try to su to a user:

#su - student01
su: user student01 does not exist

I can point authentication back to the main ldap server to get around it, but ... strange.

I ran slapd_db_recover, tried deleting all the __db* files and recreating, tried deleting all the dbd files and re-indexing, but nothing helped. It is the slave ldap server, so suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School