[K12OSN] Reasons to Use LVM

Joe Baker joebaker at dcresearch.com
Mon Jun 4 15:53:12 UTC 2007

I think LVM is great on a file server.  But I like to segregate the LTSP
server from the file server.  I use an LDAP server for system
authentication as well.  I like to keep the parts of the system which
will change most frequently separate from the bedrock parts of network
infrastructure.  I have taken the approach of keeping the LTSP server as
simple to repair as possible.  That means no LVM or RAID whatsoever.

(I used it before on an LTSP server and through an untimely shutdown
found the system would not boot.   It was LVM on top of RAID 1
(including the root filesystem)).   So my LTSP server has a single hard
drive that will be backed up to another drive which can be swapped out
in the event of a catastrophic disk failure.

Good luck with your LTSP implementation Mark!

-Joe Baker