[K12OSN] Reasons to Use LVM

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Mon Jun 4 19:02:34 UTC 2007

I agree that LVM just complicates things.  A few years back, when disks
were smaller, it would have been useful (but wasn't available
then--figures).  Nowadays disks are so large that it's not really much
help, at least in the context of an LTSP server.  And if the LVM gets
trashed, realistically you're cut off from your data even if it's
actually intact on the disk.  With regular (non-LVM) partitions, you at
least have a chance to boot Knoppix and mount the data partition and
recover the data even if the boot partition is toast.  So, I rarely use
LVM in K12LTSP setups any more.  My $0.02.

Peter