[K12OSN] Thinking about virtualization

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 6 23:41:27 UTC 2007

Rob Owens wrote:

>> I have
>> one of the RH7.3 based versions that is approaching a 4 year uptime (the
>> uptime counter has rolled a couple of times, though).
>
> Les, you probably already know this, but you can run the command:
>
> who -b
>
> and that will tell you the date of the last boot.  I don't think it
> suffers from the same limitations as the uptime command.

Maybe on your newfangled box it does:

# who -b
who: invalid option -- b
Try `who --help' for more information.

I'm pretty sure the last time it was booted was to load this kernel.
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2993373 May 29  2003 vmlinux-2.4.20-18.7 or soon
after that.

I did replace a drive or two, hot-swapping them and rebuilding the raid1
mirrors since without shutting down.  Uptime says 433 now, and I think
it rolled at 497 twice, so another month+ to go.  It's our main dhcp/dns
server, has some web and samba services, and for several of those years
was our main email server. And it has a fair-sized CVS repository.

Normally I wouldn't let something go this long without maintenance but
it's pretty well firewalled, the services were all supposed to have been
moved to other offices a couple of years ago and at this point it's fun
to watch it keep on ticking by itself.  I've pointed the dhcp at newer
boot servers but it will still fire up a screen if you vnc to it or do a
remote X login.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com