[K12OSN] Thinking about virtualization

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jun 7 01:43:37 UTC 2007

Rob Owens wrote:

> That's a pretty reliable server you've got running there.  I had one
> machine that was over 300 days, but a power failure rebooted it (it was
> plugged directly into the wall all that time).

This one has a dual power supply on 2 different UPS systems, one backed
up by generator power.  It's an old IBM Netfinity (about a PIII, 800)
and had been around a while before the long uptime started the but the
funny thing is that it was a closeout special from TigerDirect back when
they used to do that sort of thing and cost about $800 plus some 3rd
party RAM and drives.  I got several at the same time and most but not
all would still run. A PIII is barely worth the trouble as a server
these days though, so most have been replaced.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com