[K12OSN] a single user's hosed desktop

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Fri Jun 8 18:51:45 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I have one user who's "desktop" settings are completely hosed.  Her
applications menus are gone, some of her applications won't launch when
they will for other users, even her terminal (which only I use in her
account, for troubleshooting) is acting really strange.  I can't
describe the terminal problems too well.  Strange characters when I
type, can't backspace, can't copy and/or paste., etc.  She's my one user
who insists on using KDE btw.

My question, is there anyway to wholesale restore her defaults?  This
person is the main user of the thin clients, she has a ton of work,
bookmarks, etc.  I can't lose any of that stuff.  I do have backups in
case something goes wrong.  I'm thinking of just creating a new user
account for her and moving her files over, but it will be hard to get
all her preferences, etc.

This is K12LTSP 5, in a household environment.

Thanks for any ideas.

ck