[K12OSN] OT: grub error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sun Jun 10 22:15:37 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 01:13:23PM -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote:

> Rob Owens wrote:
> >I've tried installing Debian Etch and CentOS 5 on an old P3 I just
> >picked up.  Both give me the same error immediately after the
> >bootloader:
>
> So, we know it's an old P3, but you didn't tell us anything about how
> much RAM you have in that machine.  Based on the error you are getting,
> it seems like the amount of ram has something to do with it.

It's got 192 MB -- seems like that should be enough.  I've installed
Linux with less.  Right now I'm searching for another memory stick so I
can get it up to 256 MB and see if that helps.

I read something on the internet about the possibility that the bios was
occupying a memory address that grub was trying to utilize.  The
explanation was a bit beyond my understanding though.

-Rob