[K12OSN] Vacation?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 12 14:05:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 09:31 -0400, Shawn Powers wrote:
> This has probably been discussed before, but I've always disliked
> vacation auto replies...
>

> My principals are not working this summer, and I need to set up auto
> replies for their emails.  Is there a preferred method to do that?  I
> see the old standard vacation program is a thing of the past, but I'm
> not sure the proper way to do it now.  Ideally, I'd like NOT to reply
> to mailing lists, etc.
>

> Any pointers?

while { "$on_vacation" }; do
  email > /dev/null
done

It's called VACATION!!!

OK. A _real_ process is to mirror send all incoming email to a second
mailbox so someone can monitor and handle the issues of importance. A
_very_ simple mirror method is to have this line in ~/.forward

new_recipient\

This new_recipient is the local username of who gets a copy of the
email. The slash on the end says to also deliver locally to the
originally intended recipient.

Personally and professionally, the vacation reply is now VERY BAD
PRACTICE. It alerts the spammers to a very real email account and only
annoys the recipient who wanted email contact not an excuse for no
reply. I instruct all of my clients to _send_ an email in advance of the
vacation with alternate contact information and the date range of the
vacation.

Besides, if it's a crisis it needs to be handled immediately anyway so
give the end person the tools to do the job upfront.