[K12OSN] Firefox crashes

informatik at steinerschule-basel.ch informatik at steinerschule-basel.ch
Wed Jun 13 10:13:21 UTC 2007

> es  könnte auch sein, daß eventuell zwei miteinander unverträgliche
> Speichermodule eingebaut sind.
>
> Oder das Java Plugin wurde nicht korrekt installiert. Damit das
> plugin funktioniertdarf nur eine Verknüpfung  zum Plugin ins
> Zielverzeichnis kopiert  werden. Wir benutzen bei uns im Celeron 400
> PC auch 128 MB RAM.
>
> Ich glaube nicht, daß es am RAM liegt.
This gives more evidence, that firefox may easily crash a low memory
(64MB) xserver:
"The problem may be related to some programs caching things like
bitmaps in the x-server. Can you see a relation to the programs you are
using and the amount of memory X is using?"

The example page given below is a good test case because firefox has to
load big image files (e.g. 2592x1944) which are downscaled to 350x230.
- If firefox does cache bitmaps in the X-Server it would obviously need
additional RAM on the LSTP client.

On my laptop (not ltsp) Xorg takes another 10 MB RAM when opening
section "Bilder" on alp-tschingla.ch.

Christian