[K12OSN] squid error

Jim Anderson gotthin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:19:30 UTC 2007

On 6/10/07, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> The best way to get up and running with Squid is to simply start Squid
> then providing you have DansGuardian installed is start DG after you have
> started Squid. Also install Webmin. It has an easy to use interface for
> displaying DG logs within Webmin.(You have to download the plugin for DG
> to Webmin, as it is not a standard module with Webmin)
> You shouldn't have to do any configing with Squid or DG ,providing you
> installed the rpm's for each that comes with K12LTSP.If you are getting
> the squid error, do an ' rpm -e squid ' in a terminal to uninstall squid.
> Then go to you software updater on the start menu and reinstall Squid. You
> shouldn't have to do anything to get Squid to start is the bottom line.
> SquidGaurd on the other hand you do have to do some configing,if you are
> really wanting to use SquidGuard along with Squid. Read the readme that is
> supplied with SquidGuard if this is the case. It is kinda tricky to get
> working but works fine once you figure what settings you want. DG is much
> easier for beginning to make work from the get go.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> Take care,
>
> Barry Cisna

I've tried installing and reinstalling various squid versions using the
add/remove software tool (always uninstalling first).  The install seems to
complete successfully but i stll get the "No running copy" error in
Services.  I've reinstalled K12LTSP v 5 on a test server and stll get the
same error.

I tried starting squid with "/sbin/service squid start" but it failed:

init_cache_dir /var/spool/squid... /etc/init.d/squid: line 54:  2606
Aborted              $SQUID -z -F -D >>/var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1
Starting squid: /etc/init.d/squid: line 53:  2607 Aborted
$SQUID $SQUID_OPTS >>/var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1
                                                           [FAILED]

I'm at a loss for what to do next.  I've installed K12LTSP v.5 with the same
CDs I used on the production server.  I have been able to successfully
install and use squid, DansGuardian, and webmin with the DG module on a test
install of FC 7, but I used RPMs from other sources than the DVD or the FC 7
repositories.  I'm planning on upgrading to the CentOS version of LTSP when
it becomes available... perhaps I should just wait it out?

Jim Anderson