[K12OSN] local usb card reader curiosity

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Wed Jun 13 21:06:50 UTC 2007

I have a Sandisk card reader that I'm using successfully on my thin
clients.  It only has one slot, for SD cards.  Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-ImageMate-Hi-speed-SDDR-89-A15-Package/dp/B00064V6RG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4682886-3202265?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181768340&sr=8-1

I also have a Sandisk 12-in-1 usb card reader which requires some
trickery to use on a thin client, and I'm wondering why.  It's like this
one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-ImageMate-Hi-speed-SDDR-89-A15-Package/dp/B00064V6RG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4682886-3202265?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181768340&sr=8-1

The 12-in-1 card reader works as a local storage device if I insert the
card, then plug the card reader into the usb port.  If I do it the other
way around it does not work.  ie, the normal way:  Plug the card reader
into the usb port and leave it there, then insert the card.  The card
does not get recognized -- no event is triggered (when I monitor a shell
on the thin client).

Any idea why this is?  And how could I fix it?

-Rob