[K12OSN] Fwd: DVD not working on server

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sat Jun 16 14:03:34 UTC 2007

That's not a good sign.  I think most GUI tools ultimately rely on
cdrecord or its libraries to function.  You may have a bad drive, as I
seem to recall getting similar results on a bad drive a while back.  Be
sure you're root when you run the cdrecord test.  You should be getting
something like this:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
       have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
       cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
       http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author
should
       not be bothered with problems in this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.85-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c    1.85
05/05/16 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
         1,0,0   100) 'TSSTcorp' 'CD/DVDW SH-W162C' 'TS10' Removable CD-ROM
         1,1,0   101) *
         1,2,0   102) *
         1,3,0   103) *
         1,4,0   104) *
         1,5,0   105) *
         1,6,0   106) *
         1,7,0   107) *

If you can, beg, borrow, or steal another drive to test to see if you
get a different result.

Peter