[K12OSN] how to set up passwordless ssh access

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 16 14:21:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 16:11 +0200, Nils Breunese wrote:
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 23:06 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> >> check the permissions on the .ssh directory, and the
> >> authorized_keys file.
> >>
> >> .ssh should be 0700  ('drwx------') and owner/group must be
> >> correct for
> >> that user.
> >>
> >> authorized_keys should be 0644 ('-rw-r--r--'), and again owner/group
> >> must be for that user.
> >
> > And the /etc/ssh/sshd.conf must be edited to allow use of RSA keys.
> >
> > find these lines:
> >
> > #RSAAuthentication yes
> > #PubkeyAuthentication yes
> > #AuthorizedKeysFile     .ssh/authorized_keys
> >
> > and uncomment them and restart sshd
>
> That's not really necessary as the commented out values are the
> defaults. But it doesn't hurt either.

You are correct. Those should be the defaults. I'm a stickler on conf
file editing (that should have been sshd_config NOT sshd.conf BTW) and
much prefer to have explicit setting noted with defaults left intact for
posterity use.

That said, I had an incident a while back where the conf file was a
recycled one and it did NOT match the compiled reality. That took me
several hours to puzzle through and I developed the explicit method
instead as a result.