[K12OSN] Custom menus?

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:32:13 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org> wrote:
> perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but is this windows-manager specific?
> if using ICEWM you should be able to edit /usr/share/icewm/menu
>
> and create all that you need...
>
> I created a custom menu for the elementary school that has programs
> grouped by grade level (even though some 8th graders really like
> GCompris *boggles*)
>
> not sure about restricting a menu-item/group to a specific usergroup..

I really like Icewm too. You can restrict or allow menus by setting
the permissions on the binary. If the binary is not executable by the
user, icewm will not show that user that menu item. So what you can do
is (take gftp as an example)

groupadd gftp
chgrp gftp /usr/bin/gftp   (should still be owned by root)
chmod 750 /usr/bin/gftp
then for anyone you wish to run gftp you must
usermod -a -G gftp someuser

So when you edit /usr/share/icewm/menu
menu items that are not executable for a particular user will not show up.

--
Robert Arkiletian