[K12OSN] Custom menus?

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:10:13 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 15:32, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org> wrote:
> > perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but is this windows-manager specific?
> > if using ICEWM you should be able to edit /usr/share/icewm/menu
> >
> > and create all that you need...
> >
> > I created a custom menu for the elementary school that has programs
> > grouped by grade level (even though some 8th graders really like
> > GCompris *boggles*)
> >
> > not sure about restricting a menu-item/group to a specific usergroup..
>
> I really like Icewm too. You can restrict or allow menus by setting
> the permissions on the binary. If the binary is not executable by the
> user, icewm will not show that user that menu item. So what you can do
> is (take gftp as an example)

I use Icewm too and I take advantage of the fact that each user's Icewm
enviroment is (can be) stored under their home directory (in the ~/.icewm
directory). I create several "template" environments
under /usr/local/share/icewm, one for each menu group, then create a symbolic
link from ~/.icewm to the proper template directory. Both the template
directories and the symlink belong to root and can't be written to by the
users. This is all managed at account creation time through simple shell
scripts.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |