[K12OSN] Custom menus?

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Wed Jun 20 01:10:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 03:11:51PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Huck wrote:
> >perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but is this windows-manager specific?
> >if using ICEWM you should be able to edit /usr/share/icewm/menu
> >
> >and create all that you need...
> >
> >I created a custom menu for the elementary school that has programs
> >grouped by grade level (even though some 8th graders really like
> >GCompris *boggles*)
> >
> >not sure about restricting a menu-item/group to a specific usergroup..
>
> I'd prefer it not to be wm-specific but as long as it works in gnome and
> kde it would be OK - and launchers on the desktop/folders seem to work
> in both.  Any program that knows how to draw something that looks like a
> menu and start other programs would work.  I know shell scripting and
> perl, but nothing about GUI programs or user interfaces so it needs to
> be simple (or a set of launcher files in a directory tree all written by
> a shell or perl script...).

I think I've heard of people using ROX-filer for this sort of thing.
Make a directory full of symlinks and point ROX-filer at that directory.
I've used it in the past and liked it, but I can't remember how it
handles icons -- specifically I don't remember if you have to specify
them yourself or if it figures them out automatically.

-Rob