[K12OSN] Greg reminds us to taste the soup

Rob Owens rowens at bio-chemvalve.com
Wed Jun 27 11:01:55 UTC 2007

I actually learned a lot about Linux systems by using GUI tools.  Then,
once I reached a certain point, I switched to CLI.  I still use GUI
tools, particularly when I'm using a function of the system that I've
never used before.

One particular example I can think of is Samba.  The huge configuration
file was overwhelming to me when I was a newbie.  So I used Swat, and I
used the Red Hat Samba config GUI (which as a newbie I found much easier
than Swat -- less options to confuse me!)  Once I had Samba working,
then I took the time to fine tune it at the command line.  And now, as
with most Linux programs that I'm familiar with, I prefer tweaking Samba
at the CLI.

So I guess I'm saying that GUI has its place.  But you're right.
Somebody in the role of technology coordinator should not be refusing to
learn any part of a computer system, particularly one so useful as the
command line interface.

-Rob