[K12OSN] reCAPTCHA on k12ltsp.org/mediawiki

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jun 27 22:28:41 UTC 2007

Those of you who track the RecentChanges (am I the only one?) on the
k12ltsp.org wiki may have noticed a rash of link spamming a few weeks
back. We'd had this problem with the old phpwiki, which prompted us to
require user accounts for wiki edits. This policy carried over to the
new wiki. Unfortunately, bots have been creating accounts with which
to edit.

I've added the reCAPTCHA [1] extension to our MediaWiki instance. It
will require completion of a CAPTCHA [2] in order to add a user
account. This CAPTCHA does have an audio component to address some
(but not all) of the accessibility issues.

Your feedback is welcome.

[1] http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

--