[K12OSN] OT: quote on file / mail server

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:43:43 UTC 2007

> > True, but if your connection to Google "goes down", you probably would have
> > bigger problems than just getting your email :-}
I agree. As long as you can get on the internet you should be able to
access google.

> The thing is, if the US office's internet connection goes down, I don't
> want it to take out any services on the UK side (which is what would
> happen if the UK office used a mail server located in the US office).

Google is international. I has many mirrors so the above should not be
a problem. If you sign up for Google apps premier they guarantee 99%
uptime for email. Can you guarantee that with your local system? There
is also a capability to use single sign on, so users have the same
password and username on google as they stored on your central
authenication database. You also get the advantage of google calendar
and shared office programs. I really seems to be a great way to
cheaply rid yourself of a lot of work.

Also solves your road warrior problem.

I hope these ideas help you in your decision

Krsnendu dasa

P.S. I don't work for Google. I am just a teacher who manages the
computer network at a school of about 100 students.