[K12OSN] Are fast disks really that important and why?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 23:18:24 UTC 2007

On 6/2/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How close is SATA2 ncq to the scsi queuing?
>
> Not to mention SCSI disks are generally  built with longer MTBF.
> Bottom line, if you can afford it, SCSI is still the best. I would
> recommend SAS (Serial Attached SCSI).

If I might add a contrary view - two surveys of large numbers of hard
drives were released a few months ago. Unfortunately, they didn't
mention brand names, although they did say some brands were far more
reliable than others.  They _did_ say there was little practical
difference in reliability between SCSI and SATA drives.

> The reason enterprises are using SATA is the price/GB and the size of
> the drives. You can now buy 1TB (1000GB) SATA drives. If you have big
> storage needs then SATA definitely makes sense. Usually with an LSI
> MegaRAID 300-8x or 3ware 9550sx SATA RAID controller.

I'd be inclined to use SCSI for system (programs, etc.) and swap, and
SATA for /home and Windows profiles (because users always want more
space).

Calvin