Re: [K12OSN] Are fast disks really that important and why?

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

The reason enterprises are using SATA is the price/GB and the size of
the drives. You can now buy 1TB (1000GB) SATA drives. If you have big
storage needs then SATA definitely makes sense. Usually with an LSI
MegaRAID 300-8x or 3ware 9550sx SATA RAID controller.

LSI MegaRAID, I agree; I'm buying a MegaRAID 150-6 SATA card for my own
SATA home array, for testing and playing.

3ware, no thanks. They don't open their specs (LSI, by contrast, does),
and their RAID management tools are binary blobs.

3ware might not be totally open source compliant, but their stuff does seem to work pretty good.

Nils Breunese.