Re: [K12OSN] Any news about K12LTSP 7

When do you expect an EL-5 64bit version?

On 6/4/07, Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
Shishir Jha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just was curious to know whether k12LTSP v7 is in plans or not. And if
> yes then which version of LTSP is going to incorporated in it. We are
> currently using K12LTSP 5 and are thinking of upgrading to newer
> version. We have been trying out Edubuntu 7.04 for test and are giving
> it a thought due to its ease with Pulseaudio and LTSP 5. But as we
> have been using K12 I dont want to change to debian based Linux from
> .rpm based system.
>
> So guys, if anybody knows about any plans for K12LTSP and its detail,
> please do share it with me so that I can decide what to do and whether
> to upgrade or wait for release of version 7 of K12

Yes, there will be two new versions released in the near future (next
1-4 weeks, depending on how busy these last two weeks of school are for me).

K12LTSP 5.0-EL  will be based on CentOS 5, which is very similar to
Fedora Core 6 (i.e. the current K12LTSP 6.0.0), but will be supported
with security patches for the next several years. Use this one if you
want to install a server and not upgrade it for a long time.

K12LTSP 7.0  will be based on Fedora 7, which was just released a couple
of days ago. F7 will be supported with security patches for the next
year and a half. Use this one if you want the latest-and-greatest and
are willing to upgrade every year.

If you want to help out with the testing, you will find the pre-release
versions here:

K12LTSP 5.0-EL:

        http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/K12LTSP/5.0.0-EL-32bit/

K12LTSP 7.0: