Re: [K12OSN] Thinking about virtualization

Carl Keil wrote:

On a small
home network that's probably not the case and you might be able to run
all your services on the same system - or run the things you use less
often under vmware with the centos-based k12ltsp as the host.

Anyway, I really don't want to go this way.  Out of all my servers, the
K12LTSP one is the one that winds up needing a reboot or troubleshooting
most often.

That's a solvable problem unless you have hardware issues that vmware won't fix either. Especially with the Centos-based versions, k12ltsp should never need a reboot except when you update the kernel. I have one of the RH7.3 based versions that is approaching a 4 year uptime (the uptime counter has rolled a couple of times, though).

I seriously don't blame K12LTSP for this, I think it's just a
factor that it's basically being used as a 5-way workstation, so it's
subject to more vagueries of existence.  I also tend to install new stuff
on it more often, etc.  I often trade uptime for more features, etc. on
this box.

Vmware makes a great place to test new stuff...

I want to virtualize mainly to save money.  I want to lower my power bill
and I've got vast quantities of unused clock cycles and storage space
being unused on computers that are spun up all the time.  My K12LTSP disk
is 10% full, while my web/mp3 server is 60%, etc.

K12ltsp is perfectly capable of being a web/samba (etc.)server too.

I'll think more about what you're suggesting though.

The most overhead on vmware will be in disk access so I'd try to keep the most disk-intensive thing native. Also, if your k12ltsp is the dhcp server for everything else, you probably want it running first.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com