Re: [K12OSN] Thinking about virtualization

Rob Owens wrote:

I have one of the RH7.3 based versions that is approaching a 4 year uptime (the uptime counter has rolled a couple of times, though).

Les, you probably already know this, but you can run the command:

who -b

and that will tell you the date of the last boot.  I don't think it
suffers from the same limitations as the uptime command.

Maybe on your newfangled box it does:

# who -b
who: invalid option -- b
Try `who --help' for more information.

I'm pretty sure the last time it was booted was to load this kernel.
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2993373 May 29 2003 vmlinux-2.4.20-18.7 or soon after that.

I did replace a drive or two, hot-swapping them and rebuilding the raid1 mirrors since without shutting down. Uptime says 433 now, and I think it rolled at 497 twice, so another month+ to go. It's our main dhcp/dns server, has some web and samba services, and for several of those years was our main email server. And it has a fair-sized CVS repository.

Normally I wouldn't let something go this long without maintenance but it's pretty well firewalled, the services were all supposed to have been moved to other offices a couple of years ago and at this point it's fun to watch it keep on ticking by itself. I've pointed the dhcp at newer boot servers but it will still fire up a screen if you vnc to it or do a remote X login.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com