Re: [K12OSN] Firefox crashes

I was wrong - My 1225 was not picking up the 'videoram' setting in lts.conf b/c of a DHCP issue. The 1225 does _not_ crash on the page http://www.alp-tschingla.ch

I apologize for the misinformation.

-Michael

Michael Blinn wrote:
This page also crashes FF running on disklessworkstation.com's LTSP Term 1225e

Running the mozilla debugger options produces this at the point of crash:

The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
 (Details: serial 145503 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

Program exited with code 01.

I don't understand - would this problem really be remedied by having more RAM? My i810 boxes that exhibited the same crash all had more than 64MB memory (One had 384). On the other end of this is the 1225 terminal, which has 16MB videoram (specified in lts.conf) and 128MB total.

I can't imagine that this crash is pervasive; no one would be using LTSP if it were. I'm wondering what it is about my specific location (And those whom are also affected) that is causing this to occur so often and repeatably.

- Michael Blinn

informatik steinerschule-basel ch wrote:
es könnte auch sein, daß eventuell zwei miteinander unverträgliche Speichermodule eingebaut sind.

Oder das Java Plugin wurde nicht korrekt installiert. Damit das plugin funktioniertdarf nur eine Verknüpfung zum Plugin ins Zielverzeichnis kopiert werden. Wir benutzen bei uns im Celeron 400 PC auch 128 MB RAM.

Ich glaube nicht, daß es am RAM liegt.
This gives more evidence, that firefox may easily crash a low memory (64MB) xserver: "The problem may be related to some programs caching things like bitmaps in the x-server. Can you see a relation to the programs you are using and the amount of memory X is using?"

The example page given below is a good test case because firefox has to load big image files (e.g. 2592x1944) which are downscaled to 350x230. - If firefox does cache bitmaps in the X-Server it would obviously need additional RAM on the LSTP client.

On my laptop (not ltsp) Xorg takes another 10 MB RAM when opening section "Bilder" on alp-tschingla.ch.

Christian

Gruß

Michael