Re: [K12OSN] Getting eMacs to boot.

Actually, K12LTSP comes with an image for PowerPC Macs. In most cases, just setting the Mac to netboot is all that's necessary.

Jon, our annual LTSP conference starts tomorrow in Minneapolis and runs through Friday. Jim Kronebusch, who did a bunch of the grunt work of getting PPC Macs to act as clients, will be there. We've even got a Mac client running for the conference. Come up for one or both days and I'm sure we can help you. See www.nclinux.net for details.

Peter

Todd O'Bryan wrote:
I've never done this before and I could be completely wrong, but I'll
take a stab at helping...

The problem is that the Macs are PowerPC, not i386 based, so they need
to download a different set of software to boot up. The good news is
that you can store both images on the same server and serve up the right
one based on MAC addresses. Once they've loaded the image and booted,
they're just creating an XWindows session to the server, so they can run
the same software on the server.

That's the theory, anyway, I think. You'll need to create a PowerPC thin
client image and serve that to the Macs when they boot. Other people may
be able to give you more specific info, but at least that gives you
somewhere to start.

Todd